Having journal prompts for your self-discovery journey can be incredibly helpful. There are so many aspects to understanding your character. And doing the much-needed journaling and reflection to experience personal growth is part of the process.
Depending on your mood -- whether you’re feeling overwhelmed or excited to dive in -- you may want to focus your self-discovery journaling on different topics.
Self-Discovery Journal Prompts For You to Try
We’ve put together a list of 35 prompts broken down into seven different categories. These are designed for you to pick and choose from. Don’t feel like you have to work your way through sequentially.
Start somewhere, and see which of these journal prompts geared towards self-discovery flow the best.
Limiting Beliefs & Thought Patterns1. What’s keeping you from living your dream life?
2. What makes you feel powerful?
3. What makes you feel powerless?
4. Name someone else who inspires you? What makes you different from them?
5. What belief are you holding onto that is holding you back?
Feeling Overwhelmed6. What is stressing you out right now?
7. Which areas of your life are the most overwhelming?
8. What keeps you from experiencing peace?
9. What’s your favorite way to relax?
10. What’s one thing that happened last year that made you truly happy?
Setting Personal Growth Goals11. List 10 things you want to accomplish this month.
12. Describe who you want to be in 10 years.
13. What is one goal you set that you did not achieve? Why?
14. What is something you’ve always wanted to do?
15. What is your dream job or dream hobby?
Path to Becoming Better16. What parts of your daily life need to change for you to achieve your goals?
17. What things do you need to make more time for?
18. What things do you need to let go of?
19. What have you accomplished in the last year that you’re proud of?
20. What book do you want to read next?
Establishing a Daily Routine21. List three things that you want to add to your daily routine.
22. List three things that you want to eliminate from your daily routine.
23. What is your ideal day?
24. What is something you can do every day to stay focused on achieving your goals?
25. Pick one daily self-discovery practice you want to try.
Positive Affirmations & Self-Love26. What makes you feel alive?
27. What would your closest friends and family say is your best quality?
28. What do you like most about yourself?
29. What is your favorite quote, word, or phrase?
30. Write down how you’re feeling right now. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Write down what you're feeling now.
Living Your Best Life31. What is something you want to work toward?
32. Name someone else you want to get to know better.
33. What is one great way to show kindness to others?
34. What’s something new you want to try?
35. Why do you want to improve your life?
Click to enlarge and save our Silk+Sonder prompts list to your device!
Journaling for Self-Discovery Is a Process, But It's Worth It
Wherever you are in your journey, the desire to become a better version of yourself is one that drives you to make decisions and changes. But it’s not always that simple.
For many of us, self-discovery means looking back at our childhood and pasts. It also means analyzing our habits and assumptions about ourselves. It can also mean figuring out what we really want in life.
One of the best tools we have to document this journey is journaling. But, as we’ve said before, journaling can take many different forms. So, give yourself time and space to figuring out what type of journaling is right for you.
Then, begin working through some of these prompts. Comment to let us know what prompts resonated with you.
Need more prompts? Check out our other blog. Subscribe to our newsletter for more topics on journaling, wellness, personal growth, and more.
A journal inspired by positive psychology, bullet journal techniques, and proven self-help layoutsShop Now