Deep thinking is something we all strive for. Sometimes it comes naturally: Someone asks you a question and suddenly you’re thinking deeply; or maybe you’re on a long walk and find yourself pondering something new and important.
And sometimes we want to think deeply, and we just can’t get there. And that makes sense — life gets busy, and it’s easy to just move through the motions. That’s where deep questions come in: They can get the wheels turning, helping you think in a new and different way.
Here are 50 great questions to help you think deeply. So get out your journal and get ready to start writing, or simply ponder them the next time you have the mental space.
- If today was your last day on earth, how would you spend it?
- What does complete happiness mean to you?
- Is it better to be a big fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a big pond?
- How much influence does a person’s name have on their life?
- What are dreams?
- Why do we like what we like and dislike what we dislike?
- Why do people have to die?
- Name three ways you spend your time that are actually useful
- Is it possible to experience anything objectively?
- If nobody remembered you after you died, would it matter?
- What is your most common recurring dream?
- What would your life be like if you completely removed technology?
- What shape is the sky?
- Why do we stay partly cloudy instead of partly sunny?
- Imagine yourself as a fictional character. What do you like about him or her? What do you dislike?
- What’s your biggest regret? Why do you think you regret it so much?
- What does love mean to you?
- What is the color of a mirror?
- What's your happiest memory?
- Where’s your favorite place in the world?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- If you took money out of the equation, what job or career path would you pursue?
- What does it mean if aliens are real?
- Where do thoughts come from?
- What are two things you need to let go of?
- If a tree falls in the forest and there’s no one to hear it, does it make a sound?
- When did time begin?
- Do we dream in pictures or words?
- What in your life do you consider to be the biggest waste of time?
- Imagine your life 10 years from now. What do you see?
- Think of a loved one you’ve lost. If you could ask them one question, what would it be?
- If you could live absolutely anywhere, where would you live?
- Is it easier to hate or love? Why?
- What is infinity?
- What’s your personal mission statement?
- Would you live through a year of extreme hardship if it meant a lifetime of happiness?
- Describe yourself in one sentence
- When do you feel most at peace?
- If you could change just one thing about your life, what would you change?
- What are the top three items on your bucket list?
- Do you believe in soulmates?
- Imagine your future self. What do you see?
- Describe your perfect vacation
- What’s the most important lesson you’ve ever learned?
- In your opinion, what makes life worth living?
- Why do we spend our spare time doing things we don’t actually enjoy?
- What keeps you up in the middle of the night?
- Is there such a thing as an “ordinary” life? If so, what does that look like?
- Would you really want to live a life that’s free of challenges or obstacles?
- How often do the things you worry about actually happen?
Looking for more questions that will help you think outside the box? Check out these 50 Emotional Journaling Prompts.