How well do you know yourself? These self-discovery questions are designed to help you wherever you’re at on your self-exploration journey. And we’ve divided them into categories based on different aspects of identity.
Self-Discovery & Self-Exploration Are a Process
There are lots of reasons why we may be on a self-discovery journey. For many of us, learning more about ourselves comes as a result of an identity shift or change in our lives. When we have to stop and think about who we are and what we want out of life.
Starting a self-discovery or self-exploration practice can actually lead to a lot of great changes in our lives. Not only does it force us to become aware of things about ourselves that may be been otherwise hidden or unknown to us, but also self-discovery allows us to figure out our authentic self or our ideal self. Not the version that we have created for the purpose of our career or because that’s what people expect of us.
How to Use These Self-Discovery Questions
Obviously, self-discovery is a lifelong process, but we can set aside time for this powerful practice. By taking time for meditation and journaling with a specific focus on self-exploration, we can make accelerated progress. You can also carve out time to sit down with yourself, go for a walk, or talk through these with a friend.
70 Self-Discovery Questions for Reflection
There’s no right or wrong way to engage with these questions. You’re sure to find personal growth when spending time to get to know yourself.
Personality Self-Discovery Questions
1. What is your favorite part of your personality?
2. What do you think other people admire about you?
3. What parts of your personality hold you back?
4. What is something that has always been true about you?
5. What is something that has always been important to you?
6. What parts of your personality do you wish were different?
7. How do you feel when you have to confront someone?
8. How do you feel when you receive a compliment?
9. What is the most important thing a person can do in life?
10. When was the last time you felt truly happy and alive?
11. When was the last time you felt loved and respected?
12. When was the last time you laughed really hard?
13. When was the last time you cried?
14. Do you consider yourself more of a thinker or a feeler?
Hobbies Self-Discovery Questions
15. What is your favorite pastime?
16. What is a hobby or pastime that you wish you did?
17. When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
18. Where is your favorite place to spend time outside?
19. Where is your favorite place to spend time inside?
20. How would you spend a day free of responsibility?
21. What do you hope to accomplish by the end of your life?
22. What are some hobbies you think you’ll try later in life?
23. What is something you know how to do that is unique or rare?
24. Why do you think hobbies are important?
25. What were your favorite extracurricular activities during high school?
26. If you had all the time and money in the world, how would you spend your time?
27. What skill did someone teach you that you’re grateful for?
28. What skill do you hope to pass down or teach to someone else?
Goals and Dreams Self-Discovery Questions
29. What short-term goals do you have for yourself?
30. What long-term goals do you have for yourself?
31. What is the latest goal you achieved?
32. What goal in your life are you most proud of achieving?
33. What are some things in life that you feel pressured to do?
34. What is something you wish you had accomplished by now in life?
35. What is a childhood dream that you think is funny or ridiculous now? Why?
36. What dreams from childhood do you still have and hope to do?
37. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?
38. What is a financial goal or dream you hope to achieve?
39. What is a personal goal or dream you hope to achieve?
40. What is a relationship goal or dream you hope to achieve?
41. What is the difference between goals and dreams for you?
42. What do you need to do to make your dream(s) a reality?
Relationships Self-Discovery Questions
43. What are your most prized relationships?
44. What defines a healthy relationship?
45. What defines a toxic or unhealthy relationship?
46. What personal values are important for you to share with someone?
47. What parts of yourself do you want to be understood or known by someone?
48. Do you feel appreciated and loved by your friends? Family?
49. How important is a community to you?
50. What do your relationships with your coworkers look like?
51. What do your relationships with your neighbors look like?
52. What questions do you ask someone you just met?
53. How do you want the people around you to see you?
54. How do your relationships with family and friends enrich your life?
55. How does your community encourage and empower you?
56. What does it mean to be a supportive partner?
Health and Wellness Self-Discovery Questions
57. What areas of your life do you wish you had more confidence in?
58. Do you have an inner critic? How do you silence negative thoughts about yourself?
59. What does overall health look like for you?
60. What areas of your life do you wish you were more healthy?
61. What types of exercise do you enjoy the most?
62. What types of self-care make the most difference for you?
63. What does a safe space look like for you to process emotions and feelings?
64. What does mindfulness mean to you?
65. How could you add more mindfulness to your daily life?
66. Where are you on the path of self-discovery?
67. What is something that you would describe as “easier said than done” when it comes to health and wellness?
68. What would a better work-life balance look like for you?
69. What are your daily needs? And how do you care for yourself?
70. How could you reduce stress in your life?
Let us know what questions stick out to you! And check out the Silk+Sonder blog for more questions, journaling prompts, and quote hauls!
Print out these self-discovery questions and place them somewhere where you can see them.