Daily gratitude journal prompts are a great thing to add to your gratitude practice, if you have one. But if not, let’s first talk about (1) why you should and (2) how you can add one a gratitude practice to your life!
Benefits of Daily Gratitude Journaling
In our blog about gratitude practices, we talked about the actual health benefits of being grateful. There have been several studies dedicated to understanding the effects of gratitude on human physiology in the last decade. And the results found that people who practice gratitude are overall healthier and happier. That’s not all, below are a few of the top findings…
- Gratitude helps improve sleep
- Gratitude helps reduce toxic emotions and improve empathy
- Gratitude helps teach resilience
- Gratitude helps increase self-esteem
- Gratitude helps reduce stress
But getting into the habit of practicing gratitude can be tough. Our daily habits and routines are often so busy, the thought of sitting down to write out things we’re grateful for seems frivolous. That’s why gratitude journaling questions may be perfect for you, especially if you’re already in a daily journaling routine.
Daily Gratitude Journal Prompts
Part of what makes gratitude journaling so fulfilling is it causes us to think outside of ourselves. When we consider what we’re thankful for and why, it shifts us to seeing the good and the positive around us. Often we are so influenced by the challenges we are facing in our daily lives, that we tend to focus on the negative.
But positive thinking is a key part of manifesting. And a daily gratitude practice is the highway to get there. So, it can be helpful to have these questions to prompt our reflection. We all have something to be thankful for. And if we make time daily to journal our gratitude, it can be life changing and transformative.
84 Gratitude Journal Prompts
- How could gratitude have a positive impact on a current situation or challenge?
- Who do you think of when you think of a positive or grateful person?
- What parts of your life cause you to be negative or ungrateful?
- What's one thing you're grateful for in your professional life?
- What are other typical character traits of a grateful person?
- What struggle have you overcome in your life that you’re grateful for?
- What is the hardest lesson you’ve ever learned?
- What is a song you play when you’re in a good mood? Look up the lyrics and jot down your favorites.
- What does pausing to say “thank you” do for your mindset?
- What is one personality trait you like about yourself?
- What is one physical trait you like about yourself?
- What is the most valuable thing you do for yourself on a daily basis?
- What part of your daily routine could change for the better?
- What part of your daily routine brings you the most joy?
- What books or movies have changed your perspective on life?
- Who have you not thanked for something they did for you?
- What’s your favorite thing about this time in your life?
- What is one thing you saw today that was beautiful?
- What is your favorite song?
- What parts of your life are you happy about?
- What parts of your life do you want to change?
- What was your favorite vacation?
- What is something you saw today that represented kindness?
- What is one act of kindness that you want to do within the next week?
- What is something you love about your home?
- What is something you love about nature?
- What is your favorite sound?
- What is something you love about your mom, dad, partner or child(ren)?
- What is something you love about yourself?
- What relationship (past or present) has taught you something about gratitude?
- Who has been kind to you recently? How?
- List 3 compliments you could give to someone you admire or love.
- Who have you been kind to recently?
- Who should you be more kind to in your life?
- When do you feel the most peaceful?
- What is your favorite food?
- Describe a random act of kindness you did for someone else.
- When do you feel the most alive or passionate?
- What do you admire most about someone you love?
- What type of personality in someone else are you most attracted to? Why?
- What are you doing when you feel most fulfilled?
- What is your happiest childhood memory? Why?
- Who in your life are you most grateful for?
- What is your favorite place you've ever visited?
- What is a recent experience that you’re glad you had?
- What are you most proud of yourself for accomplishing in your life?
- What are you most proud of yourself for accomplishing recently?
- What is something nice you’ve done for another person recently?
- What is one physical item that means a lot to you?
- What is something that surprised you today or yesterday?
- What is something that made you laugh today or yesterday?
- What is something you are really talented or good at?
- What is currently happening in your life that challenges you?
- What do you love about the town or city you live in?
- What other words or phrases would you use to describe gratitude?
- What activities could you add to your morning routine to help cultivate gratitude?
- What activities could you add to your evening routine to help cultivate gratitude?
- When was the last time you cried?
- What are daily comforts or privileges that you take advantage of?
- What opportunities do you have that you’re grateful for?
- List some positive affirmations that would help you be more grateful.
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
- What's your favorite quote, and what do you love about it?
- What do you love most about your job and what you do everyday?
- What is your favorite smell? What does it remind you of?
- What is your favorite color? What mood does it put you in?
- What's the best thing that has happened in the past month?
- What is the most beautiful place you’ve ever visited or traveled? Describe it.
- List 3 things that immediately make you smile.
- What small annoyances would go away with a simple change of perspective?
- What do you want to be remembered for doing or being?
- What are the highlights of your life right now?
- What is your favorite time of the year?
- What are 3 things you look forward to?
- What causes you the most stress? And what could you do to reduce your stress?
- List something you love and look forward to about each season (summer, fall, winter, spring). Do you have a favorite season?
- What is a comfort or luxury you are thankful for?
- How can you be more giving with your time, money or energy?
- Who do you wish you spent more time with?
- What is your favorite way to unwind and relax?
- What health benefits would you enjoy most from an increased life of gratitude?
- What was your favorite day ever?
- What's something you can do today that would make your life better?
- What's one great thing that happened today?
If you like journaling prompts lists, we have lots! Check these out:
- 60 Monthly Journaling Prompts to Help You Make the Most of 2022
- 35 Journaling Prompts for Self-Discovery and Personal Growth
- 50 Journaling Prompts for Self-Love
- 50 Emotional Journaling Prompts
- 30 Future Self Journaling Prompts for Happiness
Check out the Silk+Sonder blog for more topics!