When the dark days of a long winter start to ease up, a lot of us find ourselves wanting to give our spaces a good cleaning. Something about a fresh, clean house and springtime just go together.
But it can be hard to know where to start spring cleaning. And if you’re like us, you may have started searching for what cleaning products to use, a cleaning schedule, spring cleaning tips, and even spring cleaning checklists to help make the most of your time and energy.
So, we’ve put together our version of an Ultimate Spring Cleaning Checklist 2023 for you to use when you’re tackling your deep cleaning this season. With the right cleaning checklist and cleaning tips, we think it can actually be a really good time!
Spring cleaning with a checklist takes the guesswork out of getting started.
2023 Spring Cleaning Checklist & Tips:
Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets with an all-purpose cleaner
- Wipe down cabinet handles and tighten any loose screws
- Clean inside the microwave
- Clean oven
- Clean gas stove and range
- Clean the dishwasher (tip: most modern dishwashers have an automatic cleaning function)
- Dust the light fixtures
- Clean coffee maker (tip: white vinegar is a great natural cleaner to run through a traditional coffee maker)
- Wipe down stainless steel appliances
- Clean behind any small appliances (tip: check the crumb tray in the toaster!)
- Run boiling water or white vinegar through the garbage disposal
- Throw away any expired food
- Defrost freezer to clean inside
- Remove everything from pantry shelves and wipe down
- Mop floors
Living Room Cleaning Checklist
- Dust furniture
- Dust the blinds
- Dust ceiling fans
- Dust any window sills
- Vacuum entire area
- Vacuum curtains
- Polish wood furniture
- Replace smoke alarm batteries
- Replace batteries in remotes and electronics
- Replace air filters (tip: set yourself a reminder to change filters on a set schedule)
- Use glass cleaner to clean your TV and screens
- Remove couch cushions covers and wash
- Spot clean area rugs (tip: you can rent professional carpet cleaners from your local hardware store affordably for deep cleaning)
- Declutter any storage areas
- Sanitize plastic toys (if you have pets or children)
- Clean window tracks with soapy water or a damp cloth
Bathroom Cleaning Checklist
- Disinfect doorknobs
- Clean all surfaces, shower, bathtub, sink(s)
- Clean toilets and restock toilet paper
- Remove and wash outer shower curtain
- Replace shower curtain liner (tip: these are often plastic and unfortunately don’t hold up well over time, sometimes replacing these all together is the best way to eliminate dangerous mold and germs)
- Wipe down bathroom cabinets
- Wipe down cabinet handles
- Clean mirrors with glass cleaner
- Replace light bulbs in vanity lighting
- Get rid of any old cosmetics
Outdoor Area Spring Cleaning
- Wipe down any outdoor furniture
- Polish or treat any outdoor furniture with oils or sealers
- Pressure wash patio or driveway
- Schedule a garage door service (tip: this is recommended to do annually to make sure springs and tracks are well-maintained)
- Wash windows
Springtime is a great time to freshen up your living spaces.
2 Simple Steps to Start Spring Cleaning with Excitement
Whether it's a matter of motivation - “how do I get in the mood for spring cleaning?” Or it’s a matter of knowing where to start - “what room or areas of the house should I start spring cleaning first?”
There are lots of ways you can get started. But we suggest you start with these two simple steps:
Step 1 - Make a plan for spring cleaning
We recommend starting your spring cleaning at the table with a piece of paper. Spend some time planning before you dive in.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What areas of my house need the most attention? The entire house? One room?
- What part(s) of my living space could quickly be organized (think: low-hanging fruit)?
- What spaces in my house or apartment would make my life easier and less stressful if cleaned and organized?
Step 2 - Set the mood to get started
After thinking through some of these questions, you should have a list of prioritized areas to start spring cleaning. From there, it’s mustering up the motivation: turn on some music, make a coffee or smoothie to drink while you’re getting everything ready, throw on your favorite t-shirt, grab some trash bags or donation bins, get out your cleaning supplies, and just dive in. Once you’re ready to start, follow our Spring Cleaning Checklist 2023.
For more organization tips and tricks, check out our Silk+Sonder blog on these topics:
- Daily Guide for Organizing Your Life in One Week
- 10 Questions to Ask Yourself If You Think “I Have Too Many Clothes”
- What Does It Mean to Have a Minimalist Aesthetic?
- Our 1-Minute Guide: How to Organize Your Life With A Notebook
Check out the Silk+Sonder blog for more topics like this one!