Taking the time to slow down and reflect is an incredibly beneficial exercise. By taking out your journal and answering a series of questions for self-reflection, you may end up learning a lot more about yourself than you ever thought possible—and this can help motivate you, bring your life goals into clearer focus, and improve your daily life as you become more intentional about how you spend your time.
If you really want to reap the benefits of self reflection, making it into a habit, or something you do regularly, is a smart goal — and working through this list of 30 self reflection questions is a great place to start.
Questions for self reflection
- What scents bring me joy?
- What is my favorite meal to cook, and what do I love about it?
- What’s my very best memory?
- When do I feel most distracted?
- Where do I want to be in the next 12 months?
- Am I prioritizing self-care? If not, how can I change that?
- Which is worse: Failing or never trying?
- When do I feel happy?
- What’s my favorite way to spend a day?
- What are three things that make me smile?
- What have I done lately that’s worth remembering?
- Who do I feel most like myself with?
- What are three things that stress me out that I can eliminate?
- What foods do I eat that make me feel physically bad afterward?
- What foods do I eat that make me feel energized afterward?
- What does my ideal morning look like?
- What small act of kindness was I once shown that I’ll never forget?
- What does my nighttime routine currently look like? Is it aligned with what I want it to look like?
- Who is the first person I think of to call or text when I feel upset?
- What have I given up on?
- What things interfere with my sleep?
- Where do I want to be five years from now?
- Am I a night owl or an early bird?
- What activities represent self-care to me?
- Am I putting enough effort into my relationships?
- Am I achieving the goals I set for myself?
- What’s one thing that scares me that I think I could really benefit from doing?
- Am I holding on to something that I need to let go of?
- If this were the least day of my life, what would I do?
- What quote inspires me?
Why is self reflection important?
Self reflection is important for several reasons. It can help us process memories or experiences, help us get a different perspective on something that may be bothering us or nagging at a corner of our conscience, help us understand what makes us happy and brings us down, and — maybe most importantly — it’s also key for personal growth.
By taking the time to write out thoughtful answers to self reflection questions (and if you have a self reflection journal, that’s even better!) you may find that you begin to live a more fulfilling life, especially as you make self reflection into a habit rather than something you do once in a while. Happy writing!