You may know more Elizabeth Gilbert quotes that you realize! Gilbert is an American journalist and famous author known for her memoir “Eat Pray Love” and award-winning podcast “Magic Lessons.” She is highly regarded for her wisdom and perspective on life. And she has so many notable self-love and life quotes.
On the cover of her book "Eat Pray Love", Gilbert gives you a taste of the compelling stories inside of it.
If you’re looking for quotes that help you zoom out and give you perspective, Elizabeth Gilbert quotes are for you. Her take on life, love, self-discovery, and adventure can inspire all of us.
40 Elizabeth Gilbert Quotes for Loving Self & Living Life
1. "The center is everywhere - wherever people are living out their lives. It’s a city with a million centers."
2. “This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.”
3. "At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you."
4. “Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.”
5. "Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots."
6. “Never forget that once upon a time, in an unguarded moment, you recognized yourself as a friend.”
7. “You’re wishin’ too much, baby. You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughtta be.”
8. "Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it."
9. "You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it."
10. "You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."
11. “To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow - this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.”
12. “To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life.”
13. “Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.”
14. “It all goes away. Eventually, everything goes away.”
15. "A true soul mate is probably the most important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave.”
16. "You were given life; it is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight.”
17. “Someday you're gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You'll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing...”
18. "When you're lost in those woods, it sometimes takes you a while to realize that you are lost. For the longest time, you can convince yourself that you've just wandered off the path, that you'll find your way back to the trailhead any moment now. Then night falls again and again, and you still have no idea where you are, and it's time to admit that you have bewildered yourself so far off the path that you don't even know from which direction the sun rises anymore.”
19. “I think I deserve something beautiful.”
20. “Some days are meant to be counted, others are meant to be weighed.”
21. “The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving.”
22. “I'm choosing happiness over suffering, I know I am. I'm making space for the unknown future to fill up my life with yet-to-come surprises.”
23. “I crossed the street to walk in the sunshine.”
24. “I am a better person when I have less on my plate.”
25. “To find the balance you want, this is what you must become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs instead of two."
26. That way, you can stay in the world. But you must stop looking at the world through your head. You must look through your heart, instead. That way, you will know God.”
27. “We don't realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.”
28. “Sometimes life is too hard to be alone, and sometimes life is too good to be alone.”
29. “But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilling yearnings.”
30. “As smoking is to the lungs, so is resentment to the soul; even one puff is bad for you.”
31. “Do whatever brings you to life, then. Follow your own fascinations, obsessions, and compulsions. Trust them. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart.”
32. “I wondered, "Why have I been chasing happiness my whole life when bliss was here the entire time?”
33. “Smile with face, smile with mind, and good energy will come to you and clean away dirty energy.”
34. “We must take care of our families wherever we find them.”
35. “The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.”
36. "Lucky is the soul whose only troubles are self-inflicted."
37. "If you clear out all of that space in your mind you would have a door way."
38. "You can measure your worth by your dedication to your path, not by your successes and failures."
39. "Done is better than good."
40. "I noticed that my fear never changed, never delighted, never offered a surprise twist or an unexpected ending."
Want more great quotes? Give these ones a read:
- 60 Mel Robbins Quotes to Help You Along On Your Personal Growth Journey
- 50 Glennon Doyle Quotes That Will Remind You That You Can Do Hard Things
- 40 Brené Brown Quotes That Will Leave You Feeling Inspired and Courageous