Monthly journal prompts can be a great way to make the most of a new year. And as 2022 winds down and January creeps up, there’s no question that the upcoming year is on all of our minds.
By taking some time to plan ahead with a handful of monthly writing prompts, you can kick off each month with an energized, intentional attitude—which is something we always try to do here at Silk + Sonder. So bookmark these monthly journaling prompts and get ready to use them all year long.
January Writing Prompts
- If I was only able to accomplish one thing this year, what would I want it to be?
- What are some things I really love about winter?
- How can I spend time outside this month, even with the cold weather?
- What indoor activities do I enjoy?
- When do I feel the most cozy and cared for?
February Writing Prompts
- What do I like most about having a shorter month? What do I like the least?
- What’s my favorite thing about the month of February?
- What does my perfect mental health day look like?
- When do I feel the most loved?
- What are some ways that I express love?
March Writing Prompts
- What am I most looking forward to about spring?
- How will I take advantage of the extra hour of daylight coming up?
- A time when I felt really lucky was...
- How am I doing on my goals for this year so far?
- Write about one thing that's been really tough about this year, and one thing that's been really great
April Writing Prompts
- How can I best take advantage of the spring weather?
- What’s my favorite flower, and why?
- Make a list of things you want to do this month
- Who is my closest friend? What do I love about them?
- What’s something I'm feeling anxious about right now?
May Writing Prompts
- What does my ideal summer vacation look like?
- What’s my favorite thing about the month of May?
- If I could change three things about the world, what would they be?
- Write about a time when you had a really difficult conversation. What did you learn from it?
- What does happiness mean to me?
June Writing Prompts
- Make a summer bucket list
- How can I channel that “school’s out for the summer” feeling I had as a kid, and bring it into my adult life?
- Write a letter to your teenage self
- What are some things I can do to help me better cope with my worries?
- What are my pet peeves?
July Writing Prompts
- We’re halfway through the year. How do I feel about how this year is going so far?
- Think about someone you love who you haven’t talked to in a while. How can you connect with them this month?
- Write a letter to your future self
- What new habit do I want to bring into my life this month?
- Am I an early bird or a night owl? How can I better honor my rhythms?
August Writing Prompts
- Think back to a summer vacation you went on as a kid, and write out your favorite memories from it
- Something great that's happened to me this summer is...
- What’s your favorite season? Why?
- Something I want to accomplish this fall is...
- What is your biggest insecurity, and where do you think it comes from?
September Writing Prompts
- I feel the most motivated when...
- September is all about “starting fresh.” What can I do to start fresh this month?
- What does my relationship with money look like?
- What does my "dream job" look like?
- My perfect morning looks like...
October Writing Prompts
- My favorite thing about fall is...
- What feelings does fall stir up for you?
- What does your perfect mental health day look like?
- List the things, activities, and people that tend to make you feel anxious
- Who do you feel most like yourself with?
November Writing Prompts
- Write down five things you’re thankful for
- How can I prioritize self-care this month?
- Something I wish I could say to a family member but haven't had the courage to is...
- Make a list of things that will make you happy as the weather gets colder and the days get darker
- My happiest Thanksgiving memory is...
December Writing Prompts
- My favorite memory from this year is...
- What feelings do the holidays bring up for you?
- My favorite holiday foods are...
- How can I carve out time for exercise this holiday season?
- What do I want to accomplish next year?
With the right journaling prompts in your back pocket, you can make 2022 your best year yet. Looking for more journaling prompts? Check out these 50 Journaling Prompts for Self-Love and these 40 Journaling Prompts of Beginners.