If you're just getting started on your shadow work journey, you may be wondering exactly what it is. Essentially, shadow work means getting in touch with your unconscious mind to uncover parts of yourself that you may be hiding or repressing. This can include trauma, complicated childhood memories, or anything else you need to work through.
If you want to practice shadow work, it's essential to start with the right prompts, which can steer you in the right direction on your journey. So open up your journal and start with these ones.
30 Shadow Work Prompts for Beginners
1. What does self-love mean to you?
2. Name a time when you felt betrayed
3. Name a time when you felt rejected
4. What are some repressed feelings you believe you have, and how do they show up for you?
5. What do you believe are some of your best traits?
6. What do you believe are some of your worst traits?
7. Name a complicated childhood memory
8. What does personal development mean to you?
9. What's something you think you could to enforce boundaries more often?
10. What are your core values?
11. What's a trait in others that you wish you had?
12. What were you like as a child?
13. Write out a self-acceptance affirmation
14. What's one thing you're afraid of doing, and why?
15. Write out a self-acceptance affirmation
16. What are your parents' values?
17. How do you handle stress?
18. What makes you jealous, and why?
19. What triggers you, and why?
20. Describe a time you self-sabotaged. Why do you think you did it?
21. What is your biggest regret, and why?
22. Do you feel that people respect you?
23. Do you practice self-care? Could you practice more of it?
24. Do you ever lie to yourself so you won't have to address your fears?
25. What emotions do you avoid?
26. Do you forgive yourself when you've done something wrong?
27. Are you happy when you're alone?
28. Do you respond well to constructive criticism?
29. Is there anyone in your life who you're competitive with?
30. Do you feel misunderstood? If so, how?
31. What do you want to get out of your shadow work journey?
32. How are you similar to your parents, and in what ways are you different from them?
33. How would you describe your life now to your child self?
34. What does failure mean to you?
35. What behaviors in others are you most upset by?
Want more great blog posts? Start with these ones: